Top 5 least favorite Mcfarlane DC Multiverse figures of 2023

2023 brought with it lots of great action figures from different companies that I've already gone through in depth in previous posts. 2022 I thought was one of the best years Mcfarlane had with the DC Comics license, though had a few hiccups that I discussed in a previous list. With 2023, I don't think they had any figures that were egregious in quality; however, with as many releases as we got there were definitely some that I was more let down with than others. So this will be my ranking of my top 5 least favorite Mcfarlane DC Multiverse figures of 2023. 

(Images Source)




Honorable mention: Anti-Monitor

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that we have Anti-Monitor in the line as such an important character in DC's history and he pairs fantastically with so many other Crisis on Infinite Earths figures we've been getting lately. The figure itself too is great with bright colors, all the details of the comics; however, I just wish it was bigger. Even amongst mega-figs it is one of the smallest we have gotten, with a lot of empty space in the box. The Build-A figure Flashpoint Cyborg that also came out last year is taller than it...



5. Supergirl (Flash movie)

I am one that personally did not mind The Flash movie. Regardless of the behind the scenes drama with certain actors, judging the movie on its own merit I really enjoyed it and thought it had some of the most emotional beats of the whole DCEU. One aspect of the movie I did like a lot and wish we got more of was Calle's Supergirl, a bruised and battered character kept hostage for years and finally let out with no trust for the world, which matches the typical story of Flashpoint Superman. The suit of the figure is spot on to the wonderful Snyder-esque suit design we see in the film, but then you get to the head and no matter what people try to say about it looking "better in person," is false, is just doesn't look like the character at all.



4. Nightwing (Titans Build-A wave)

Nightwing with the blue running down his sleeves and gloves was a look for the character that I was hoping to get in the line eventually and it finally happened last year! I don't even mind the re-use of the Future State Jon Kent mold, but they could have at least given him gripping hands and a pair of his batons. He comes with no accessories, and no hands to hold accessories either, and this mold have been used before for other characters with gripping hands (Such as the Jim Gordon Batman who came with several sets of hands!). A step towards the costume I wanted, but very limited with what I can actually do with it.



3. Supergirl (Rebirth)

I hate putting another Supergirl on this list, especially with how few female figures Mcfarlane gives us, and because I was really looking forward to the first comic book Supergirl, but there's just a lot with this figure that doesn't vibe with me. The most obvious is that her boots are not actually boots, but she's wearing pants which is not accurate for the source material, and the skirt piece restricts nearly all movement you would want to do with her legs as well. The hair restricting head movement was to be expected with the sculpting; however, all this comes together for a figure that could have been executed better. 



2. Dread Lantern

The Dread Lantern design in the comics is absolutely sick and one of my favorite designs in the Dark Multiverse comic series; however, this figure lets it down by predominantly re-using the Alan Scott mold that came out after it. Missing is the texture of the suit evident in the comics, the tattered, cape, the boots are missing paint (that is present on the Alan Scott version), but worst of all the demonic headsculpt from the comics is not caught at all with this release. They simply took the regular Alan Scott headsculpt and glued fire on the eyes. 



1. Bane (Trench Jacket)

Underneath the jacket is still the banger of a figure that Hardy's Bane is in The Dark Knight Build-A wave. It is the fulfillment of everything I wanted from a Tom Hardy Bane figure and that whole Nolan wave in general is perfect. This re-release with the trench jacket though drops the ball in my eyes, especially for a look I prefer for the character. Bane in his trench jacket is the iconic look I associate with him from the film, but with this figure the jacket is too chunky, it looks too much like a doll jacket put on a plastic figure. I would have much preferred what Mattel had done previously, resculpting the arms to be sleeved, and including the main jacket as a plastic overlay. That way it would have been more natural, unlike what we got which loses all sense of realism. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 most wanted Star Wars the Black Series aliens from The Phantom Menace

Top 5 most wanted Jakks Pacific Sonic Badniks vol 2

Top 5 most wanted Mattel Hammond Collection dinosaurs