Top 12 Favorite Movies of 2023

We're almost knee deep into 2024, so I figure it is just about time for me to go into my top movie list of 2023. I haven't seen everything that came out last year, but I saw most of the movies that were on my immediate radar (along with some surprises recommended by fans) and at this point in time this is how my ranking for films of last year has turned out. When putting together the list I realized I had added two extra movies making this a "Top 12" as opposed to a "Top 10" list; however, it gives me more of a chance to talk about more films. I haven't put numerical listings beside the titles, just because it was hard to put them in a general order and things are still fluid with what I think was "better" than others. I enjoyed all of these movies immensely, for various reasons, so take this list as less of a ranking, and more of a collective favorite 12 movies from 2023. 

(Images Source unless otherwise stated)




Beau is Afraid

An absolute ride from start to finish, I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going to happen next in this movie by Ari Aster. It stuck with me long after the credits rolled as I tried to piece together what certain scenes meant, how unexpectedly certain other scenes happened (that attic scene though...), and that hypnotic woodland play still creeps up in my mind every so often. The movie wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me it was the craziest movie I've seen so far in life (even beating Sorry to Bother You), and it's lasting impact on me alone grants it entry to my top 10 list. 



Blackberry

I didn't even know this movie had come out until my girlfriend's brother suggested we watch it, and I was very happy with what I ended up watching. I had always heard the name "Blackberry" growing up but watching this movie was a great life story for a phone and the people behind it. Both the leads stole the show in a story that makes me wish Blackberry was still around after seeing how much the employees went through. 



The Killer

A silent hit that struck from out of nowhere (much like the film's "protagonist"), The Killer released on Netflix later in the year and just kept me invested and drawn into the story from start to finish. Fassbender's cold, calculated narration put us in the mind state of the main character and the way he lives his life, and how precisely he reacts when things may not go as planned. On top of that, it features possibly one of the best fight sequences in film from last year!



Evil Dead Rise

Coming out early last year (and coming up on the one year anniversary of release), Evil Dead Rise is the newest film in the Evil Dead franchise and lives up to everything the franchise promises to offer. It was disgusting, upsetting, and creepy with soooo many quotable moments, absolutely spot on make up and creature design, with genuinely unnerving scenes, and one of the coolest opening title shots I've seen in a long time! If this film is any indication of Evil Dead's return to the big screen, I'm looking forward to whatever happens next!



Creed 3

Another early film to release last year was the third film in the Creed saga, expanding on the purely amazing Rocky/Creed franchise which hasn't disappointed. While opting not to include Stallone this time around, Jordan easily carries the weight of the franchise as Adonis Creed battles one of his past demon's in a twisted retelling of Rocky's underdog tale. Touting epic fights, fantastic character moments, and a stellar soundtrack as always, I sorely hope this isn't the last we see of Adonis!



Quiz Lady

I must have to go to my girlfriend's brother for more movie recommendations, because Quiz Lady was another film I had no idea came out until he brought it up for movie night. While it took a little bit to really get going, at a certain point the movie becomes laugh out loud hilarious and one of the best comedies I saw throughout last year. Both leads gave great performances, with every character coming out memorable in some way!



Oppenheimer

I'm not sure if there's any movie lists from last year that don't include this film as part of the top 10. Oppenheimer rocked in theaters, becoming an instant hit and still lingering in entertainment news and gossip to this day. With incredible performances by everyone involved, skillful directing and special effects by Nolan and crew, and an emotional look into the man who changed the world, Oppenheimer was everything and more than fans were hoping for from Nolan's latest film. 



Knock at the Cabin

I didn't see this movie until much later in the year, but I wish I had seen it when it came out because Knock at the Cabin is one of Shyamalan's finest. Everyone involved gives great performances, especially Bautista and the young girl Kristin Cui. The story was intense, gripping, and distressing as it becomes more and more apparent that the insane that is being suggested may be in fact the truth. It is a premise and a story that still pops up in my head when I'm trying to fall asleep at night, and from this point on "Boogie Shoes" is a song I associate with this movie. 



Cocaine Bear

Coming in the next spot is one of the funnest movies I saw last year and one that as soon as I saw it I knew it was going on my top movie list of the year. Cocaine Bear was just a crazy, exciting trip from start to finish with an insane premise, an entertaining cast of characters, and lots of great moments that still live rent free in my head. It also serves as the final film for the iconic Ray Liotta, making it extra special. 



Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse

While I don't want to seem like that person who puts franchise films at the top of his movie list, I am a huge fan of my franchises and some of the films we got this year were genuinely fantastic. Across the Spiderverse somehow tops the first film, with an incredibly charismatic group of characters with beyond epic moments, and very emotional beats which I did not see coming. The Spot has become one of my all time favorite comic-book villains, and the ending cliffhanger is one of the best I've seen in films that ranks up there for me with Empire Strikes Back and Infinity War. The mesmerizing art style continues, looking as polished as ever, and I'm very pumped for the eventual third film!



Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3

I thought the first Guardians of the Galaxy was a fun space movie, and the emotional intensity of the second is what really drew me in as a Guardians fan. From there I loved them in Infinity War and Endgame, all leading to one of the best movies the MCU as put out in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. The emotional rollercoaster of this movie had tears in my eyes multiple times, even on a rewatch (especially on a rewatch during Rocket's flashbacks knowing what would eventually happen), and it provided a more than fitting end to this iteration of the Guardians. Not only that, but their new blue uniforms looked sick, the music was top notch as always, and the High Evolutionary was a suitable despicable foe.  



Godzilla: Minus One

I am a huge Godzilla fan already; I've watched every film Toho and America has released for the big lizard, and while there have been some incredibly deep films in the franchise I'm more accustomed to his films being generally big monster fight movies which I've been ok with. However, watching Minus One gave me the same feeling I had when I was seeing Shin Godzilla in theaters, the feeling that I was seeing something on a whole new level. There's a reason Minus One stuck around in American theaters as long as it did, made waves in the news for as long as it did, and why people are still talking about this movie. It is more than just a giant monster destroying things, it is a very human story about war, guilt, sacrifice, and the Japanese spirit. I am very happy to say that Godzilla: Minus One blew me away entirely with some of the best written character drama in the entire franchise, a truly menacing take on Godzilla with some very tense scenes, and a very creative climax for how the characters of the film decided to deal with Godzilla. With Minus One and Shin Godzilla the last two live action Japanese Godzilla films have been stellar, and I can't wait for the next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 most wanted Star Wars the Black Series aliens from The Phantom Menace

Top 5 most wanted Jakks Pacific Sonic Badniks vol 2

Top 5 most wanted Mattel Hammond Collection dinosaurs