Top 10 favorite Mcfarlane DC Multiverse figures of 2023

Mcfarlane continued his DC Multiverse line for a fourth year, extending his initial contract past the original three year agreement he had made with DC Comics. I'm more than happy for this to continue, and I hope it does for the foreseeable future because I've loved to finally have a line of super articulated DC Comics action figures that fit modern day articulation and sculpting standards! While I still think that 2022 was overall the best year for the line so far, and I found 2023 to be too common when it came to repaints, there were still so many cool action figures to come out for the DC Comics universe, and in this list I'll be counting down my top 10 of 2023!

(Images Source)



10. Black Lightning

While predominantly a repaint, I found this to be one that worked really well! It reuses the Speeding Bullets Superman mold which is one of the best in the line, making Black Lightning very fun to pose around. The colors of his suit pop really well, and the remolding done for his belt combined with that help to draw attention away from it being a reused mold. The lightning hand effects work extremely well as well, coming together for an example of how to reuse a mold correctly!



9. Earth 2 Batman

After making my own custom Earth 2 Batman out of the Flashpoint Batman in year 1 of the line, I was excited to get an actual Earth 2 Batman in the line officially, even if it is "based" off the Arkham Knight game as opposed to the actual comic, curiously enough. As one of my favorite versions of Batman, I was very happy to get this design in the line, with lots of sculpting detailing, and the first step into what I hope will be more representation of one of my favorite New 52 comics!



8. Kingdom Come Batman

The moment that I saw the announcement image for this figure I knew Mcfarlane had knocked it out of the park with this rendition of Batman. It looks like it has stepped straight out of the comic, and while the articulation is a bit limited in some areas I am not surprised to find it so given the nature of the design. The detailing for the jetpack is very cool, and it's such a clean looking suit of armor that it easily makes it one of my favorite Batman figures in the line overall. 



7. Kalibak

It felt like we didn't get as many Mega-Figs in the line this year, but the year started off with one of the best ones as Mcfarlane dug a bit deeper into DC lore and gave us Kalibak! The sculpting detailing for this figure is downright awesome and I can forgive it for being a chore to try and get into any dynamic poses for that reason. The headsculpt is gnarly, the armor stands out, and he is a beast of a figure on the shelf. Not only that, but I can fudge him into my New 52 Earth 2 display as well!



6. Mr. Freeze (Page Punchers)

Touting a very "Legends of the Dark Knight" aesthetic, the Page Punchers Batman wave of the year took a very stylized direction and made all of the figures in the wave ancient-esque designs with the Bat family as cave men, and Mr. Freeze looking like something out of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! What that comes together for though is one of my favorite Mr. Freeze comics ever, with the huge diving helmet creating such a unique look coupled with the chunky frost suit, and an overall design that reminds me of the Big Daddy's from Bioshock!



5. DCEU Blue Beetle

I think the Blue Beetle movie unfortunately flew under the radar of a lot of people, and the same goes for the figures which I think were some of the best of the year! After watching the movie, there are still so many accessory options they could have gone with, but we got a decent slew in the two separate figures that we got. The base figure itself is beautiful as well, with sculpted detailing throughout that matches the movie well, and really makes a marvel of itself with the colors as well between the charcoal grays and warm blues!



4. Captain Carrot

One of the most recent releases of the year is Captain Carrot, and absolute delight of a figure in the line and a character choice that makes me happy Mcfarlane is holding onto the license. Whoever would have thought we'd be getting a super articulated Captain Carrot action figure?? As always, the sculpted detailing is superb, and the character not only looks great but poses well too! The articulated ears help to add emotions to an otherwise static headsculpt, and he even has a little tuft of hair to represent his tail! 



3. Ocean Master (Page Punchers)

While not appearing in the Page Punchers Aquaman comic himself, the wave still brought us an Ocean Master figure and I'm very glad it did. While I really liked the Target Exclusive Orm that we got, the Page Punchers version is my new favorite with all the intricate sculpting detailing, the vivid headsculpt, and the pure presence it has on the shelf where it looks almost too good to be in the same line as a lot of the other figures!



2. Jay Garrick

One of the first figures we got this year is still one of my favorites, that being Jay Garrick! While it isn't the older Jay fans are more used to, I absolutely love this figure and especially that he got a unique sculpt (unlike Bart and Wallace). The silver helmet looks great, the blues and reds of his suit are very classically bright, and he poses fantastically! I've even bought a second to repaint into a custom figure of The Rival! Jay Garrick is my favorite of the speedsters in DC's universe, and in year four of Mcfarlane's run with the license I was very excited to get such a great figure of him!



1. The Dark Knight Trilogy BAF wave

Another set of figures that came out near the start of the line would be the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy Build-a-Figure wave of action figures! I could not choose just a couple of these figures to include on this list because the whole set is so great, and one of my favorite things that Mcfarlane has done with the license thus far! Scarecrow and Batman in particular are my favorites from the wave itself, with both looking like they've stepped straight out of the films, while the build-a Figure Bane is the Tom Hardy Bane figure I've always wanted! Out of all the Build-a-Figure waves we've gotten in the line thus far this is easily my favorite overall, with each figure in it either a 10/10 or close to it for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 5 most wanted Star Wars the Black Series aliens from The Phantom Menace

Top 5 most wanted Jakks Pacific Sonic Badniks vol 2

Top 5 most wanted Mattel Hammond Collection dinosaurs